Re: Uploaded boot-floppies 2.1.7 (source all) to erlangen

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:33:38 +0100, Raphael Hertzog <rhertzog@hrnet.fr> said:
> Le Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 09:04:54AM +0000, Enrique Zanardi
> écrivait:
>> * Removed DirHandle.pm from the base system, as dpkg-ftp has been
>> removed too.

> What is the definition of the base system ? dpkg-ftp is still in
> base according to the Packages file here on my local mirror. It
> would be nice to inform the maintainer when their packages are
> overrided (ie the section/priority has changed) so that we may
> change it on the source package too.

> I think that the base system provided by the boot floppies should be
> the same that can be obtained by unpacking/installing the packages
> in section "base".

This is not going to happen and never going to happen.  What ships in
base2_1.tgz and the like is actually orthogonal to what is in the
'base' subsection of the main distribution.  It happens to work out
that most of what is in base2_1.tgz is in the base subsection, and
maybe vice versa.  But to try to insist that the one and the other
should be in lockstep will effectively kill the boot-floppies effort.
We (mostly, Enrique) need to be able to add/remove things from
base2_1.tgz and from root.bin in order to have functional floppies.
FYI, this also varies per platform as well.

Secondly, dpkg-ftp was removed from the base system because it
provided no functionality which was not already provided by other
dselect aquisition methods.