failure to remove from /usr/info kills upgrade

Setting up binutils (2.9.1.0.19a-2) ...
sh: /usr/info/binutils.info.gz: No such file or directory

We typically mount our /usr/info NFS ro.  I can live with
unmounting /usr/{doc,info,man} during an upgrade and
blowing away what the install leaves there except
for the one machine serving it NFS.

Today an upgrade failed because it could not find and erase
file in info.  Touching the file is not enough; it then
dies because it can't unzip it.

We want the full set of docs for all installed software on
all our machines.  We don't, however, install everything on
every machine.

Is one man's feature another man's bug?

--

Christopher F. Miller, Publisher                            cfm@maine.com
MaineStreet Communications, Inc        208 Portland Road, Gray, ME  04039