Re: PROPOSAL: gtk-gnome coordination team

I initially Cc:ed the gnome and gtk maintainers on this thread, as a
courtesy, since it affects them most of all.

I've un cc:ed them now, since they'll follow it on -devel, I'm sure.

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, Josip Rodin wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 04:21:53PM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> > new version comes out.  This is because maintainers of GTK-using packages
> > typically find that their upstream authors are using the latest version
> > (and have probably, irritatingly, chosen to use a feature which requires
> > it, because they read about it in the release notes and thought it was
> > cool).
>
> Don't forget applications with which you simply can't choose on which
> libgtk you want them compiled (without editing the actual code).

Then we fix them.

The Gtk API won't be changing in huge leaps and bounds, and it will often
just be a simple recompile, or a few trivial changes.

There will be occasions when it's not that simple, and on those occasions
the team will make the decision to leave the old version in the archive.

> > The mechanics of this would be up to the list.  A fertile possibility
> > would be to have a central CVS tree used by all the gtk-app developers,
> > allowing anyone to correct minor errors in the others' files, with
> > automated build-all scripts.
>
> Do you have any information on the number of packages in question,
> their size, who are the maintainers, etc, etc...?
>
> And how hard is this to implement WRT those numbers?

Nope.  Lots, I'm sure.

But, I'm equally sure that it is a manageable problem.  I mean, we manage
to release entire synchronised debian versions, don't we?

Jules