Re: Gnome to be removed from debian?

On Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 01:27:32PM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:
> This would be nice.  However, there is still one flaw.
>
> The upstream gnome developers aren't bumping the soname.  How else do you
> explain how dpkg can say all dependencies are filled, yet a gnome app
> segfaults?
Because they don't care about compatibility.  Read some of the mailing list
archives when imlib broke binary compatibility beteween 1.2 and 1.3 -- and I've
heard rumours that raster's gonna do it again soon.  I honestly don't think
they have any concept of version numbers at all.  jpick can attest to this :)