APT uses 100% CPU and does nothing while trying to uncompress a file

At the below URL you'll find a list of all the versions of all packages on my
system and a copy of the Packages.gz file that causes this (it only happens for
certain contents of the Packages.gz file).  This has happened before and
happened today while trying to do a potato update.

http://www.coker.com.au/~russell/apt-bug/

--
I am in London and would like to meet any Linux users here.
I plan to work in London for 6 months and then I might move to some other