Re: sudo and cracklib

Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler wrote:

> But this doesn't change the situation. If sudo depends on libpam,
> it depends implicitly on cracklib, and I need to install cracklib
> in order to configure (and use?) sudo. Or do I miss something?

No, and the real problem is that libpam should not depend on cracklib.
Among other things, this means that everyone using a standard hamm
"workstation" install will suddenly get cracklib loaded when they
upgrade to slink, because ppp-pam depends (indirectly) on cracklib.

I thought that the new pam maintainer was going to fix this problem, but
nothing seems to have happened yet.  I truly hope that this gets fixed
before slink gets released.  If not, then I truly hope that the cracklib
daily mail thing gets cured before slink gets released.  (I know how to
fix it for myself, but we shouldn't subject every Debian user to daily
mail from cron if we can avoid it, IMO.)

If necessary, I'll find a bug whose severity I can bump up to
"important", because I think this is important for the slink release.
(There are several bugs on file, the only question is which one I should
bump up.)