Re: New approach to obsolete packages

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 09:17:58AM +0000, Hugo Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 09, 1999, Richard Braakman wrote:
> > We've had a number of cases now where it would be convenient to have a
> > package that removes itself after successful installation.  In some
> > cases we actually built one (xbase, miscutils), with others we found
> > another solution (modutils), and with some we don't have a solution
> > yet (xfnt*).
> >
> > I think a general solution might be to add a single new dpkg flag:
> >
> > Self-Destruct: Yes
> >
> > This tells dpkg to automatically remove the package if nothing else
> > depends on it.
>
> I think that this is a very good idea. It could even be extended to remove
> "unused" libraries (by unused, I mean that no package depends on the
> library anymore).

Good idea - but it would be annoying to have to keep downloading libraries -
maybe an "Destruct-Level" could be used:

0 (default) - don't
1 (libraries) - do if requested (perhaps automatically destruct
                after not being depended on for some time)
2 (xfnt*) - do

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Avoid tiresome goat sacrifices  -=-  use Debian Linux http://www.debian.org