Re: Is there a Pascal compiler in Debian?

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> I'm trying to make a Debian package from the [incredible can of worms] Linkage
> program <http://linkage.cpmc.columbia.edu/> (a genetics analysis program).
> Since it is written in Pascal (probably the only Debian program of its kind,
> if I can get it to compile), I need a Pascal compiler and I cannot find one in
> Debian.
>
> Any advices about the best Pascal compiler for a Debian box?

Package: gpc
Section: devel
Installed-Size: 2949
Maintainer: Debian EGCS maintainers <egcs@packages.debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: egcs (1.1.1-5)
Version: 2.91.60-5
Replaces: gpc-ss (<< 2.91.61)
Provides: pascal-compiler
Depends: libc6, g++ (>= 2.91.60), g++ (<< 2.91.61)
Suggests: gpc-doc (>= 2.91.60)
Filename: dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/devel/gpc_2.91.60-5.deb
Size: 1173296
MD5sum: e36abc2f51bf3aee95e94e268908ffa0
 This is the egcs version of the Pascal compiler, which compiles
 Pascal on platforms supported by the gcc compiler. It uses the
 gcc backend to generate optimized code.
 .
 The current beta release 2.2 implements Standard Pascal (ISO 7185,
 level 1), a large subset of Extended Pascal (ISO 10206), and
 Borland Pascal. Many Borland Pascal units supported.

Um... looks good to me.

> Thinking about source dependencies, here is an interesting problem: what
> should I put in the (future) Source-depends if I compiled with a compiler
> which is not in Debian?

You shouldn't, ideally.  If possible, you should also package (or
encourage someone else to package) the compiler.

> Thinking about licensing issues: is a program free is there is no free
> compiler for it?

Hmm..

Interesting point.

Not really, IMO..