Re: Kernel 2.2 and Slink

On Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 11:14:08AM -0200, Lalo Martins wrote:
> Ok, it's too late to have kernel 2.2 in slink, as much as it was
> too late to have apt in hamm. But we sneaked apt in hamm,
> remember? I just read that RH made available an "upgrade pack"
> [ http://linuxtoday.com/stories/2880.html ]. Perhaps slink CDs
> could have a separate directory "kernel-upgrade" with all the
> deb's necessary? Even if it's only kernel-source-2.2.x?

Hi *,

	I really like the idea of "upgrade packs". Debian always had
the problem of releasing very stable but with old versions of some
programs (without a lot of features the new versions have). Yes you
can download from the net (and I do that) but the classical (european,
we PAY telephone) user don't want to play with unstable. A little
set of tested, stable debs can be a real plus for some users (kernel,
gnome, etc...)

	I think we can even extend the idea and modularize a little
bit the release of Debian (core+packs). There was a long talk about
that in the past, I know, but nothing emerged from it...

Ciao,
Federico

--
* Federico Di Gregorio  |  /      *-=$< ;-) TeX Wizard?            *