Re: Conflicting packages not of extra priority.

On Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 02:24:01PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
[...]
> The problem for me, in taking the position that you do, is that this puts
> constraints on package integration that are not explicitly declared to
> exist within the policy document, that require that one package be judged
> more suitable than another. All things being equal there is no reason why
> two Optional packages with similar capabilities should be placed into
> separate priorities,

I can think of at least one reason, "newbie-user-friendliness", that
means, helping our newbie users to choose. (Probably Santiago or Jules
are thinking about different reasons...).

>                      and there are good reasons to have both avaiable,

But having one of them "optional" and the other "extra" we still have
both available.

> giving the installer a "free" choice between them. While this is not
> necessarily true for _all_ packages, a restriction that disallows the
> choice is too restrictive.

Again, separate priorities don't disallow the choice. Both packages are
still there on our CDs and FTP mirror sites and dselect/gnome-apt will
show them both.

--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es