Conflicting packages not of extra priority.

Now that the current policy about optional and extra packages has been
clarified by Ian Jackson:

http://www.de.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-policy-9902/msg00023.html

it may be worth to fix some of the priority values in slink to comply with
policy.

I created a list of conflicting packages, by using pkg-order and feeding
it with the set of required+important+standard+optional packages from
slink, plus some additional awk tweaking for cross-references.

Here is the list, ordered by maintainer:

Gordon Russell <g.russell@dcs.napier.ac.uk>
   blt8.0 conflicts with blt8.0-unoff
   blt8.0-dev conflicts with blt8.0-unoff

Norbert Veber <nveber@debian.org>
   radiusd-cistron conflicts with radiusd-livingston

Marcelo E. Magallon <mmagallo@debian.org>
   asclock conflicts with afterstep(<= 1.4.5.3-1)

Darren Benham <gecko@debian.org>
   xabacus conflicts with xmabacus
   xmabacus conflicts with xabacus
   xmpuzzles conflicts with xpuzzles
   xpuzzles conflicts with xmpuzzles

Paolo Molaro <lupus@debian.org>
   libgnome-perl conflicts with libgtk-perl
   libgtk-imlib-perl conflicts with libgtk-perl
   libgtk-perl conflicts with libgtk-imlib-perl

Martin Schulze <joey@debian.org>
   apsfilter conflicts with magicfilter

Jay Kominek <jkominek@debian.org>
   jail conflicts with iplogger

Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org>
   console-tools-data conflicts with kbd-data
   kbd-data conflicts with console-tools-data

Michael Bramer <grisu@debian.org>
   gmc conflicts with mc
   mc conflicts with gmc

Rich Sahlender <rsahlen@debian.org>
   dhcp-beta conflicts with dhcp-relay-beta
   dhcp-relay-beta conflicts with dhcp-beta

David H. Munro <munro@icf.llnl.gov>
   yorick-gist conflicts with yorick

Federico Di Gregorio <fog@debian.org>
   tkstep4.2-dev conflicts with tk4.2-dev

David Frey <dfrey@debian.org>
   magicfilter conflicts with apsfilter

Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org>
   libgimp-dev conflicts with libglib-dev
   libglib-dbg conflicts with libgtk-dev
   libglib-dev conflicts with libgtk-dev
   libgtk1.1-dev conflicts with libgtk-dev
   libgtk1.1-doc conflicts with libgtk-doc

Brian White <bcwhite@pobox.com>
   gnats conflicts with gnats-user
   gnats-user conflicts with gnats

This list is not complete, in particular, I have not managed to make
pkg-order to report *all* the conflicts (for example, hello and
hello-debhelper), so this is just a starting point.

Now: What do do? I would suggest to do the following:

If you are listed here and maintain two conflicting optional packages,
then you are probably authorised enough to submit a bug against
ftp.debian.org (or mail override-change@debian.org) saying exactly which
one has to be downgraded to "extra" and which one remains optional,
required, important or standard (most of the packages listed below are
optional). [ The other way to solve this is of course to repackage them
so that they are compatible, like pgp-i and pgp-us, but I'm afraid it's
too late for slink ].

If two conflicting packages are maintained by different persons, I suggest
to contact the other maintainer and try to agree on which one is the one
that should be extra.

Only if there is not an agreement it should probably be needed to discuss
it here.

Thanks.

--
 "8889c9201424fb4f15b7e3a86ff2b026" (a truly random sig)