Re: intent to package zICQ

On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 12:31:43AM -0600, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> You may want to use debhelper and dh-make instead; they're the
> preferred system for packaging stuff now

Preferred by whom?  By you?  By the project?  I prefer hand-rolling my
packages as it gives me one point less where my packages are
vulnerable to SEMs (Someone Else's Mistakes).

> (and they are being actively maintained... deb-make isn't).

Um...

ajk@ugh[11:18:20]:~/src/hugs-1.4.199806$ zgrep '^ --.*199[89]' /usr/doc/debmake/changelog.gz
 -- Santiago Vila <sanvila@ctv.es>  Sun, 20 Dec 1998 17:52:04 +0100
 -- Santiago Vila <sanvila@ctv.es>  Tue,  8 Dec 1998 15:54:49 +0100
 -- Santiago Vila <sanvila@ctv.es>  Mon, 23 Nov 1998 20:35:08 +0100
 -- Santiago Vila <sanvila@ctv.es>  Fri, 20 Nov 1998 12:10:24 +0100
 -- Santiago Vila <sanvila@ctv.es>  Mon,  9 Nov 1998 17:29:30 +0100
 -- Santiago Vila <sanvila@ctv.es>  Thu,  8 Oct 1998 18:30:05 +0200
 -- Santiago Vila <sanvila@ctv.es>  Sun,  4 Oct 1998 12:24:49 +0200
 -- Santiago Vila <sanvila@ctv.es>  Tue, 21 Jul 1998 21:00:27 +0200
 -- Santiago Vila <sanvila@ctv.es>  Mon,  8 Jun 1998 13:29:18 +0200
 -- Santiago Vila <sanvila@ctv.es>  Wed, 25 Mar 1998 14:21:43 +0100
 -- Santiago Vila <sanvila@ctv.es>  Mon,  9 Mar 1998 20:47:32 +0100
 -- Santiago Vila <sanvila@ctv.es>  Tue, 20 Jan 1998 21:53:31 +0100
ajk@ugh[11:18:35]:~/src/hugs-1.4.199806$

If debmake is not being actively maintained, I wonder what is.  Note
that dh-make has had less uploads in the past year than debmake.  Of
course, debhelper wins them both in this count :-)

        Antti-Juhani

EMACS, n.:       Emacs May Allow Customised Screwups
                                   (unknown origin)