Re: sanity check in init.d

>> "S" == Shaleh  <shaleh@livenet.net> writes:

>> When I run it, it doesn't give me an error message. If I run it with
>> VERBOSE, then it does. Hmm, no. Think about commands like rm or
>> cp. Would such thing make sense to them?
>>

S> Ever experimented w/ a "real" daemon before?  httpd, sendmail,
S> etc. start and exit, w/o giving any notice.  You must look in their
S> logs.  This is "expected" daemon behavior because a daemon does not
S> keep its attachment to a console to echo any warnings.

Good point, thank you for this. I will evaluate this. Sounds
reasonable.

S> Many people complain about how noisy Linux is at boot time.

Ahh, they are not used to real computers ;-)

S> dmesg does not keep them, nor do any logs.

Pity. I remember someone took a look at the process, if it could
be captured somehow and such. Most likely he was not lucky.
[check...]

DLD has a new boot system (tabular view daemon ... [status]
). http://s-direktnet.de/homepages/erik/linux.html I am afraid you
have to use babalfish.

Looks cool, but would require lots of changes. And it appears to be
commercial (he doesn't state this directly, but I deduct it from the
rest of the pages).

I could ask him, If we could at least get the part which captures the
boot messages. Lets see how much has to change for this.

Ciao,
	Martin