db of /etc/passwd and /etc/group

If a system contains a nsswitch.conf file similar to the snippet I've included
below then would it be possible for utilities such as adduser, passwd, and vipw
to run appropriate makedb commands to keep the database in sync?  Or is there
something wrong with desiring this type of functionality?

# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# Information about this file is available in the `libc6-doc' package.

passwd:         db files
group:          db files
shadow:         db files

--
I am in London and would like to meet any Linux users here.
I plan to work in London for 3 - 6 months...