Re: Suggestion: Skip Slink!

On 05-Jan-99, 08:33 (CST), Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Brandon Mitchell wrote:
>
> > > On a somewhat related topic, why is it that even though I run dselect
> > > only against slink, new packages are *still* popping up? Is this a whole
> > > new definition of the word "frozen" of which I was unaware?
> >
> > Packages that fix release critical bugs are allowed into frozen.
> > Otherwise we may as well release frozen as stable the day it turns frozen.
> > Frozen means we do a feature freeze, not a package upload freeze.
>
> I imagine Steve meant 'new' as in 'new packages' not 'new versions'.  I'd
> noticed the same thing myself, and wondered about it.

Yep, that's what I meant. I can't come up with a list, but it is not
short -- I say at *least* 30 new packages (not new versions) have
been added since the *real* (not initially announced) freeze. Today
(dselect "update" was last run 1/1, I think) there are 5: three kernel
2.0.36 packages (which I understand), stl-manual, and gobjc272 (which
I have vague memories of being required because some of the stuff in
slink needs it to compile). Now, I'd guess that stl-manual is pretty
innocuous, but why is it *necessary*. And there are lot of possible ways
to goof up even the simplest package.

Steve