Re: Several glibc problems...

On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 08:13:23AM -0500, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:46:36 +0100, Christian Meder wrote:
> >
> >Just some experiences:
> >We use glibc2.1 with 2.1.125 headers on Debian Sparc 2.0.35 (and Powerpc
> >2.1.125) and it
> >works pretty well. We had to disable the annoying unimplemented syscall
> >messages from the sparc kernel because otherwise your console gets flooded ;-)
> >
> >There was one problem though:
> >The glibc2.1 with the 2.1.125 headers is aware of the sigaltstack syscall
> >from Linux 2.1.x. If you compile a program which uses sigaltstack (or
> >sigstack which calls sigaltstack) it will compile flawlessly but it won't
> >run on a 2.0.x kernel because sigaltstack has no wrapper.
> >
> >My solution was to disable the syscalls which weren't wrapped for now.
>
> This is a bug, I'll fix it this evening.

Oh, great, thanks :-)

> Do you know if it's a
> problem with libc 2.0 as well?

We don't use libc 2.0 on Sparc and I haven't build it on i386, so no.

> Was sig(alt)stack the only problem?

AFAIK yes.

> >lsof sources will get really interesting with glibc2.1. The sources are
> >already undefining lots of stuff to get along with glibc2.0 ;-)
>
> Hmm, could you be more specific?  We'd like to make its job easier if
> possible.

Just grab the latest lsof sources from ftp.debian.org or a mirror
/debian/dists/slink/main/source/utils/lsof_4.37.tar.gz
and try to build it under glibc2.1.

> >> The precise version of the kernel headers doesn't matter as long as you use
> >> a sufficiently recent one.  I think the last change that mattered was in the
> >> 2.1.9x series, but I could be wrong.
> >
> >Wasn't there some correction with O_DIRECTORY from 2.1.126 or something ?
>
> There may well have been, I don't follow kernel development real
> closely.

Sorry, my statement was unclear: There was a correction in the glibc2.1 linux
specific headers taken from 2.1.126 to get in line with the kernel headers.

Greetings,

				Christian

--
Christian Meder, email: meder@isr.uni-stuttgart.de