Re: /USR/BIN/CRON

On 26-Oct-98, 05:59 (CST), Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:
> And the one million dollar question:
>
> Why the ugly /USR/BIN/CRON and not /usr/bin/cron?

Because Paul Vixie wanted it that way. It's a deliberate, commented
item in the source.

> Is there not a policy about this?
>
> Does every daemon have the right to uppercase its name or just cron has
> that right? Is there any item in policy about this exception?

I hope there's not policy about this. It's strictly a cosmetic thing,
and I find it to be a useful cosemetic thing, in that it clearly denotes
the spawned cron tasks. Yes, every daemon has the right to do whatever
it wants with its name.

(Just because it seems to be my destiny to argue with Santiago about
policy this month :-))

Steve