Re: symlinks with 2.1 kernels

Regarding "Re: symlinks with 2.1 kernels" of 17:28 -0800 1998-02-02,
Stephen Zander wrote:
>> BSD uses this 'new' system and claims it is posix conforming, but
>> apparently the posix draft is a bit ambiguos. I think the lack of a lchown
>> function in posix implies they intended you to use chown on symlinks.
>
>BSD isn't alone here. Solaris (and every other SVR4 system I've ever used)
>has been doing this for ages.

X/Open's Single Unix Specification has lchown().

<<
NAME

      lchown - change the owner and group of a symbolic link

SYNOPSIS

      #include <unistd.h>

      int lchown(const char *path, uid_t owner, gid_t group);

DESCRIPTION

      The lchown() function has the same effect as chown() except in the
case where the named file is a symbolic link. In this case lchown() changes
the
      ownership of the symbolic link file itself, while chown() changes the
ownership of the file or directory to which the symbolic link refers.

[snip]

<http://www.UNIX-systems.org/online.html>

--
Joel "Espy" Klecker     Debian GNU/Linux Developer    <mailto:jk@espy.org>