Re: forget putting 2.0.36 in slink 2.2.0 pre1 is out

On Tue, Dec 29, 1998 at 01:02:53AM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
<snip>
> Since they are not here and I am, it is my duty as actually present to
> interject on their behalf: "What are you smoking?  Not a chance in hell,
> not for slink!"

Being one who has pushed in the past for trying to get slink targeted at
2.1.x and 2.2.x, I have to agree with Joseph here, its /WAY/ too late,
now, I am all for filing the severity important bugs against packages
which break with it, but the maintainer and release manager should have
every right to downgrade the bug to wishlist status..

(If its very easy to do without breaking freeze then great, if its not
then we fix it in potato and get slink stable with the kernel its
shipped with)

> I have heard earlier that we still do not have 2.0.36 images and we have
> agreed that we would use them for slink.  We also seemed to agree that
> after release of slink, potato was a good target for glibc2.1 and the
> latest 2.1 kernel if we don't actually have a 2.2.0 before then.

Yes, potato is without a doubt the space for the next step of big
upgrades, to the point that I'd even suggest that people who don't know
how to recover a majorly damaged system avoid it once we get started..
:/

(2.2.x kernels, glibc 2.1, perl -> perl5.005 (And yes, I am going to
push for the rename and sticking with the upstream design changes),
etc..)

> > BTW, it's nice to know there are more ideas for kernel features on the
> > horizon. It should be an interesting trek towards 2.4.0...
>
> Most certainly, if it does not end up being a move toward 3.0.0 before
> we're done.

Mmmmm, should be fun to see, thats for sure..

Zephaniah E, Hull.