Re: dpkg & boot-floppies package upload

On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 10:37:14PM +0100, Eric Delaunay wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I'm running in troubles in uploading the sparc bootdisks.
> It is a binary-only upload with no package at all, just distfiles.
> Therefore, dpkg-genchanges doesn't put the Architecture: ... field and my
> upload was rejected :-(
>
> Here is the message I received from Debian Installer:
>
> > Rejected: Missing field `architecture' in changes file.
>
> And here are the original changelog generated by dpkg-buildpackage, and the
> Debian control file from the boot-floppies source tree.
>
> I've had to edit the changelog by hand to add the Architecture:sparc line in
> the header :-(
>
> Is this a bug in dpkg (1.4.0.31 running) or in the boot-floppies package
> (like missing control fields) ?

As you may see, there's an "Architecture" line in the control file, for
the boot-floppies package. As that is the only real package generated,
there's no other field needed. But dpkg-genchanges doesn't know much
about these "no source, no packages" uploads.

I haven't found an easy fix for that bug. dpkg-genchanges accepts a "-D"
option, that may be helpful (using dpkg-genchanges -DArchitecture=$arch )
but dpkg-buildpackage doesn't accept that option. Modifying the Debian
Installer to avoid requiring an Architecture field when all the uploaded
files are to be installed by hand is another possible fix.

--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es