Re: More flexible source format (was Re: gdb is broken?)

At 12:37 +0100 1998-12-09, J.H.M. Dassen \(Ray\) wrote:
On Wed, Dec 09, 1998 at 11:13:15 +0100, Roman Hodek wrote:
BTW, this again reminds me that I once planned to design a new, more
flexible source format for Debian. It also should allow such arch-specific
patches. Basically I plan to make non-related changes different patches,
to make maintenance easier. The debian subdir also can be packaged
separately. There also should be some meta-information, like permissions
of files created by the patches (to remove some well-known problems :-),
conditions under which patches should be applied (e.g. arch, os), and so
on... Is anybody interested in this?

I think a lot of people would love to see this. Red Hat already has a
multiple-patches source format, which has proven very handy for us (to
extract specific fixes).

Allegedly Klee's development snapshot of dpkg (in ~klee on master) has such a package format, however, that version is broken, and I was unable to find evidence of this in the sources.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                     <URL:http://web.espy.org/>
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                  <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>