Re: Freely distributable non-free packages

On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 05:20:00PM +0100, Bart Schuller wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 10:15:05AM -0500, Avery Pennarun wrote:
> > An interesting feature for non-free packages would be to have a special
> > header indicating WHY they are non-free.  For example:
> >
> > 	Package: ugly
> > 	Non-Free: unmodified source-only no-fees patents crypto OTHER
> >
> > The package maintainer for each non-free package could insert this line, and
> > CD distributors could use it to decide which packages they can distribute on
> > a CD, depending on their level of paranoia / moral complacency.
>
> The last time this subject came up, it was shot down because it could
> make Debian liable for damages resulting from misclassifications.

What about things misclassified in main?  FWIW I think this is a good idea
(as is the Build-Date: that someone suggested (again) recently).

> Personally I say to that: slap a large disclaimer on it and move to a
> country where people are less eager to sue you just because they can.

:-)

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Avoid tiresome goat sacrifices  -=-  use Debian Linux http://www.debian.org