Re: Question about pidfiles

On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 09:42:39PM +0100, Remco Blaakmeer wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Roderick Schertler wrote:
>
> > On 05 Dec 1998 00:34:58 -0500, Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> said:
> > >
> > > Is there something unusual about this X client which requires it to run
> > > on the same machine as the server?  If not then any locking has to be
> > > done on the server itself (via properties, or something).
> >
> > Sorry, I should have read the rest of the thread first.  This is a
> > program to read the wheel doohickey on the mouse, so it probably does
> > have to run local to the server.
>
> If this program is free (i.e. sources are available), then what about just
> patching XFree86 so that it supports the wheel thingy?

But it does!

/usr/doc/xserver-common/README.mouse.gz

"...
XFree86 now supports the mouse with a wheel, a roller or a knob.  Its action is
detected as the Z (third) axis motion of the mouse.  As the X server or clients
normally do not use the Z axis movement of the pointing device, a new configu-
ration option, ZAxisMapping, is provided to assign the Z axis movement to
another axis or a pair of buttons (see below).
..."

Am I missing something?

--
Enrique Zanardi					ezanardi@ull.es