Re: QT non-free but becoming compatible to debian? (was Re: Qt license change)

On Fri, Nov 20, 1998 at 03:29:50PM -0500, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 20, 1998 at 03:38:08AM -0500, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> > > Why?  Doesn't Qt deserve Motif-like status as a system library?  Motif
> >
> > We don't have any such magic libraries to date. We don't have a standard
> > Motif system library, either.
>
> Exactly, which is why there is a void to be filled, IHHO.  In this day
> and time we need GUI APIs that developers can target.  Qt and GTK+
> both qualify and both have their points.

I meant that we have not had to use the "system library" loophole to date.
It would be a shame to have to now.

> Btw, I clearly see mozilla-smotif in:
> http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/web/
> So might you be wrong about the Motif thing?

-smotif means it is statically linked against Motif (as opposed to
-dmotif, which means it is dynamically linked against Motif,
as opposed to being linked to LessTif).

Hamish