Re: Mirroring slink only...

On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 01:26:41PM +0100, Roman Hodek wrote:

> > To keep my i386 development system up to spec, I need to mirror the
> > respective dists/slink subdirectories. Obviously I can't flatten aut
> > the symlinks, or I end up with lots of duplicates from binary-all!
> > On the other hand I need flattening out to include the symlinks to
> > hamm. Bit of a dilemma there, any idea how to accomplish this ?
>
> Add -L (deref symlinks) to the ls options (flags_recursive, AFAICR).

Although it didn`t seeem so at first sight, that is actually a good answer as
occured to me after reading a few other replies (thanks Christian !):

 I DID use -L to flatten out the symlinks (as I have written above) but
 that way I always ended up with lots of duplicates in binary-all as I used
 to mirror both, binary-i386 and binary-all. Now I finally realized that i386
 contains links to ALL packages in binary-all, so there ain't a problem any
 more - for some strange reason I always thought there`s just a subset of
 binary-all linked to binary-i386...

 To sum things up for everyone else interested in mirorring slink:

 * Setup the mirror file to dereference links in order to include hamm and
   binary-all packages (flags_recursive = -L).
 * As the slink archive has become too big even for 1GB Jaz Media, you`ll
   have to split the archive up on several media by mirroring selected
   subdirs of binary-i386 (or whichever architecture you are using), e.g
   base, devel, x11, tex on the first and so forth...
 * Make sure you know on which medium the Packages file is, as you will need
   it for choosing packages in dselect.
 * You cannot use the `Install` option in dselect, but rather have to install
   the selected packages manually by issuing `dpkg -iGROEB` on every media
   (which is what dselect usually does for you...).