Re: debian binary diff system ?!

On Sat, Nov 14, 1998 at 02:05:24PM +0100, Kai Duebbert wrote:
> I was wondering if anybody is working on something like making binary diff
> updates possible with debian!? It always bugs me again, when I have to
> download a whole package (and pay the German telephone fees...), although
> just something in the documentation or so is changed. and i like to have
> an up-to-date system.

   It's CPU-intensive, but I've been experimenting using CVS to transfer
source diffs between a well connected and a poorly connected machine over a
compressed ssh link.  Transfer size is related only to the real source code
diffs, which are generally several orders of magnitude smaller than the
binaries, especially for things like X11.
   Source-Depends would be quite useful for producing an automated dpkg- or
apt- method.