Re: The LSB and packages

At 12:31 PM -0700 7/21/98, Shaleh wrote:
>Well I can not speak for everyone.  However Bruce was rather adamant
>about not supporting any one packaging format.  He was just as emphatic
>about not supporting GNOME or KDE.  He wants a standard known list of
>libs and binaries.  In known places.  Preferably with the same sonames
>so RH and Debian and others can share binaries.  Right now we can't.

Why can't we?  What are the current barriers?

Aren't there any tools to convert between the two formats?  I thought there
was at least one.  Functionality might suffer deb -> rpm...

And then there's the FHS compliance issues and differences, if any.

Anything else?

Regards,

--
-- Grant Bowman                                   <grantbow@svpal.org>