Re: apt and /var

>> > I like apt.  A whole lot.  But it insists on downloading packages into
>> > /var/somethingorother,  and since my /var partition is small,  I can't
>> > download more than 1 or two packages...
>> >
>> > I've had to resort to using dpkg-ftp because it allows me to specify that
>> > downloaded things should be stuck in /tmp ... is there any way to tell
>> > this to apt?  And if not,  can we throw it on the wishlist?

>> My method would be to symlink the cache directory that apt uses to /tmp or
>> some other place that you want the files to go.  I haven't tried this with
>> apt though.

>It works with apt too.

>I've also nfs mounted (rw,no_root_squashed) the "archives" directory on
>another machine, to keep from having to download the files twice.

  The solution to avoiding double downloads is simple.  Configure your squid
proxy to cache files ending in .deb for at least 2 months before checking them
(thus ensuring that they stay in your cache until all machines are upgraded or
a new version with different name gets released).  Use http URLs in the
/etc/apt/sources.list file, and set the http_proxy environment variable
appropriately.  This works for me.

  Also set your squid to cache files named Packages.gz for at least 12 hours,
new files don't get added to Debian THAT quickly, and it saves downloading
300K gzip file too often.

---
I'm an independant computer consultant.  I prefer to do Linux administration
and programming.  OS/2 programming is also fun, and I do sometimes do NT
programming.  I mainly do C++ programming, but would like to get into Java.
This should satisfy the curiosity of those on SERVER-LINUX.