Re: Time for some Clarity (KDE, Qt, Open Source...)

Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> wrote:
> as long as the author is asked, and he gives his ok to do this and that,
> there is not a problem. as long as the kde people are the authors, there is no
> proplem. the only proplem i see, is where kde uses gpl'ed source from third
> party. but this is very rare. coolo, do you have a list ?

Sure, but then that should be included in the copyright notice we
provide.  For example, if the ok isn't transitive we can't use it.

> > Personally, I'd rather we only distribute kde in source form, until
> > this issue is properly resolved.
>
> the kde team has made a clear statement, that everyone may mix their
> code with qt. if we find an application, that uses gpl'ed code from
> third party, we should ask the author.

And we should (must) include this statement in the copyright file.

> please: no dramatic steps until it's realy necessary. here it's not
> IMHO.

As long as we have a license that says it's ok, it's ok.  If, as
you say, the license is out there somewhere, then all we need to
do is include a copy.  If not, then we need to do something else.

--
Raul