SLINK goals (was Re: login and pam)

Christoph Martin <martin@uni-mainz.de> writes:
> I don't know if this issue has been discussed, but I would like to
> know, if there will be support of pam (plugable authentication
> modules) in login.

I believe we shall be putting PAM back in as our auth infrastructure
for Debian 2.1.  AFAIK, we backed out of PAM in mid (?) 1997 because
it was not stable (?), but now all is well and not having PAM is a
pretty major technical flaw of Debian today.

And we *hate* technical flaws.

However, PAM support is not listed as a goal in
http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-roadmap/ .

Leader, etc:

Even if we trash release goals as our criteria for doing a release,
which I think we should do, we *still* need goals.  Just don't base
releasbility based on them.  Here's my list:

 * FHS support
 * PAM integration
 * better support for large-scale installations (i.e., diskless
   clients, dataless clients, non-interactive installation/upgrade)
 * consistent document infrastructure (metadata, subject scheme)

I think that's enough for now.