Re: DSFG Explanation for non-free packages?

On Tue, Jun 30, 1998 at 12:51:20AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> sjc@delphi.com <sjc@delphi.com> wrote:
> > You are right of course...I never thoguht of the other side of it.
> > I guess it goes both ways doesn't it?
>
> No.
>
> Recognizing the GPL is trivial.

Yes I know that...all I meant was that it is possible for
a "Free" licence to still contain parts about it which make
it a Pain in the Ass, just as much as a non-free licence.
(though there are few that do - don't get me wrong I LIKE the GPL
I just dislike some of its side effects)

> Determining what about a license makes it non-free sometimes is rather
> subtle.
>
> More generally, analysis of copyrights to determine if it's legal to
> turn them into something non-free is outside the scope of Debian.

ok I will agree with you there. It _IS_ outside the scope of debian,
but it would be nice if someone would do it, not so much for applications
but more libraries...

-Steve