Re: FWD: [fm] freshmeat newsletter for 06/24/98

Rob Browning wrote:
> Along those lines, does anyone know of a *decent*, free, serial port
> comm program, and I don't consider minicom, as it stands now,
> reasonable?
>
> Minicom handles the port OK, but it's got the most bass-ackwards
> config behaviors.  Why should I have to be root to change the port if
> I'm already a member of dialout, and why can't I specify these things
> from the command line?
>
> What I want it is something like:
>
>   $ scomm --port /dev/ttyS0 --baud 34800 --parity N --bits 8 --stop 1
>
> If such a thing exists, and it's not yet packaged for Debian, I'll do
> it in a second.  Talking to embedded systems and controllers (and
> figuring out what params they want) with minicom is a pain.

There are a few comm programs on sunsite that are not packaged up for
debian. They all seem rather old and crappy, but some do take quite
different approaches from minicom, perhaps one will do what you want. I've
had occasion to use one of them myself.

--
see shy jo