Re: Upgrade report from "bo" to "hamm" :-(

<metoo> Thirded. </metoo>

On Mon, Jun 29, 1998 at 05:59:57PM -0500, Rob Browning wrote:
> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:
>
> > 	Actually, I would like to see a hooks mechanism for the
> >  package management system desgned and implemented. This can take the
> >  place of the pre and post inst rm scripts; the currrent behaviour
> >  just being the default hooks implemented by dpkg.
> >
> > 	Thus, bbdbv could just put a reconfig request in the
> >  after-package-configured-hook for VM, and that would e that.

A very nice, very powerful idea - but one that requires enough
rewriting of dpkg, of which all debian developers have instinctive
dread, that it won't happen very quickly IMHO.

> > 	The shaould also be a post-install-run-hook, and all menu call
> >  and emacsen-configure calls could be added to that hook, to be
> >  run when the installation is over.
> >
> > 	This si a relatively simple, but very powerful technique.

_Yes_.

What I would like would be something like /var/lib/dpkg/postinst/, a
directory in which any package's postinst could install a file (Not by
sticking it in, of course, but by register-postinst file packagename or
register-postinst - packagename and a script on stdin.

Make sense?

Dan