Re: ok, now for my paranoid ranting

Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> wrote:
> I have one small problem with this HURD thing.  Maybe I am just worried
> over small things, but it sounds like HURD is trying to be the next
> Linux.

In what sense?  Certainly, HURD isn't trying to tackle things like
stability or efficiency.  Instead, it looks to me like it's going
to try to tackle cross-os compatibility.

[Which raises some interesting issues about file system layout
but those should probably wait for the hurd to mature a bit.]

> Therefore, it seems to want to replace us.

You mean like emacs has replaced vi?

I suppose there will be religious wars for the next thousand
years, but I don't see either going away.

> Just because we carry the name GNU/Linux, I hope we do not get roped
> into merging as a GNU system. Frankly I dislike mach type kernels.

You may have missed some of the earlier letters.  I guess I really
need to index them...  For now, I'll just point out that replacing
the mach kernel is one of the stated priorities for the Hurd.

> The system tends to be slower (yes I know that is a bad
> generalization). However, I am sure others like the idea, and I am all
> for some other group using dpkg et. al. I just ask that a clear line
> of intent be established. </paranoia>

I don't see this as all that big of an issue.  Debian already offers
a free choice wherever licenses and maintainers do the right things.
We already support a variety of different kernels, and different
graphics systems, and different editors, etc.

Competition is good -- and so is cross-fertilization.

--
Raul