RE: GNUnification

Gordon,

Thanks for your reply.

>This is already a FAQ, so all I'll say from now on is:
>
>http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd-fs-org

Well, I'm sorry but I still don't get a good feeling from this why a new
file system is needed.  This article explains why arguments _against_
the GNU filesystem are invalid, but doesn't explain the why's and
wherefore's of the GNU "hurd" filesystem.  Why would I want a GNU
filesystem?  So that I have fewer directories?  That seems like a
somewhat minor issue to me.  I don't really worry too much about how
many directories I have ;-).  Do you have another reference I could
read?

>No, not at all.  Check out
>
>http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd-paper.html

This looks very interesting.  Do you have any data on pros/cons -- for
example shaleh indicated that microkernels are inherently slower (I
assume due to redirection of calls and the layering of system
processes).  Do we know how much slower?  Is there additional
documentation somewhere?

Thanks,

-Brent