Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

Kevin Atkinson <kevina@clark.net> writes:

> >  Kevin> ***
> >  Kevin> Why? I think KDE is a great project that might fade away
> >  Kevin> and only because it relayed on Qt and the freewhere
> >  Kevin> community inability to accept that.  Thus they ignore it.
> >  Kevin> Something is wrong here.
> >  Kevin> ****

C'est la vie.

> >         Yup. KDE should have changed, or better still, not gone with a
> >  non-free library.

> Like I said there seams to be no middle ground.

I guess NPL would be a middle ground, but Troll Tech doesn't seem to
want it.  Before they started to write code, the KDE people were told
by everyone else that using Qt rather than their own widget set was a
mistake.  But they chose the quick and easy way.  Oh well, that
happens.

(Same thing with KLyx - the Lyx developers are working on a cross GUI
mechanism, but the KDE people decided to take an outdated version and
convert it to Qt. - That they could actually get sued over, if the
owners of parts of Lyx so desired - since it violates the GPL and
there is no implicit exception from the authors as there is in KDE.)

KDE is still GPL, so, when Gnome reaches critical mass, people can
convert any KDE programs that Gnome doesn't have to Gnome/Gtk (or
Gtk--).  So anything worthwhile won't get lost.

I expect gnome to continue to grow quickly.  Once the libraries are
stabilized (I believe they are switching ORBs right now), it should
really take off, because a lot of free software developers don't want
to waste their effort working with a non-free GUI library.

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu