Re: DSFG Explanation for non-free packages?

Alex Yukhimets wrote:
> > I like this idea allot. This could perform a number of functions.
>
> I don't.

Wait, what part of 'documentation explaining why particular non-free
and contrib packages conflict with the DSFG' do you not like?  From
your message, I have difficulty understanding what your objection is.

> > as I said I like this idea....but...I think this is really important for
> > development libraries. I would hate to be writting a program and suddenly find
> > out that the library i was using was non-free..and have to go back and
> > choose a new library and fix it all.
>
> Yeah? But I hate to use a library and find out that it is GPL'd and thus
> requires me to put a license on the software *I* create which I don't want.
> Would you be willing to put such a warining next to every GPL'd library?

We're not (or at least I wasn't) talking about a warning to be
prominently displayed -- I'm talking about making information
/available/ with each non-free or contrib package which explains how
and why the software falls short of /Debian's/ definition of free
software.

Now, if you don't *like* the GPL, or take issue with the DSFG, that's
outside the scope of this discussion.  The purpose of this additional
documentation, in my view, would be to clarify and illuminate exactly
what Debian stands for as far as 'free' and 'open source' software
goes.

Secondly, I would hope that part of the development process involves
looking at the licenses of the libraries one is planning on using
/before/ the project gets underway.

tew
debian package maintainer: wm2
--