Re: Having a non-free and a non-cd branch?

Hi,
>>"Chris" == Chris Lawrence <quango@ix.netcom.com> writes:

 Chris> In any event, we could always say "While we provide 'cd-ok' as
 Chris> a service to CD-ROM vendors, it is ultimately your
 Chris> responsibility to determine whether you are permitted to
 Chris> distribute these packages."

 Chris> Note that in the case of non-free software inadvertently being
 Chris> in main, the CD-ROM vendor is ultimately responsible (since we
 Chris> never put it on a CD and illegaly distributed it: he/she did).

	Not good enough. You also have to mention that you are not a
 lawyer, that you are not offereing legal advice or  practicing law,
 and you have to hope that that holds up in court. I think there is a
 possibility it may not.

	When you offer legal advice (which is what a cd-ok list is);
 the court may not see a mere disclaimer as taking away all your
 liability.

	We live in the most litigous society ever. If you feel upto
 taking the risk, set up a site separating cd0ok from non-ok packages,
 and ake sure your disclaimers are strong enough that you are not
 charged with practicing law, and hope you have no liability.

	I am not a lawyer. The above mail message is not legal advice;
 in any case I am not licenced to practice law in any jusruisdiction
 on this planet. If you happen to follow any suggestion voiced in this
 message, please understand that the author makes no claims about the
 efficacy or even the accuracy of the statements in your legal system
 In any case, before taking any action, you agree to hold the author
 harmless from any consequences of any course of action
 undertaken. The author is not responsible for any damages, financial
 or otherwise, which may result from any action undertaken.

	manoj
--
 It's easier to be original and foolish than original and
 wise. Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz