Re: Debian Free Software (FSF) or Open Source? (was Re; non-cd...)

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Kevin" == Kevin Atkinson <kevina@clark.net> writes:
>
>  >>
>  >> Frankly, we might be violating the law by placing kdebase binaries on
>  >> our ftp site.
>
>  Kevin> I think you are taking this to an extreme.  The chances of KDE
>  Kevin> developers suing you are 1 in 1000000000000.

I really really think that KDE wants you to distribute the software in
distributions.  They need to have a more careful license so that the
paranoid (like you) can distribute it.

>         Whether or not one is actually sued is immaterial. We should
>  not be violating licences on software.
>
>         I do not shop lift, even when the chances of getting caust are
>   1 in 1000000000000. It is indeed an ethics issue. I prefer not doing
>   things that are illegal, unless I strongly believe in the cause.

Store owners don't want you to shop life.  KDE wants there program to be
distributed in linux/BSD distributions.  If not while would they have
the "KDE Ships" page (http://www.kde.org/kdeships.html) which lists all
the distributions that use it.