Re: Base system tarball Q [XTerminal]

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 sjc@delphi.com wrote:

> > > Nice nice...what type of systems they runnign on?
> >
> > 486DX/33 or 486DX/40 with XF86_S3.  It was quite a while ago.  Nowadays they
> > would look pretty slow compared to a "real" computer.  Also, I may have been
> > a bit unclear above -- these really were only X terminals and accessed a
> > _remote_ xdm server.  You can run a full X session in 4 megs, but you'll
> > have to swap like crazy (which you currently can't do on a diskless client).
>
> Ahhh but to quote the NFS-root HOWTO:
> *  There is a patch floating around, that allows for swapping over
>    NFS. It was sent to me (during a private high workload phase), but
>    somehow I managed to loose the mail :(
>
> so...it can currently be done...just need to find the patch :)

That HOWTO suffers from the biggest common problem I have with HOWTOs in
general: it is out of date. The patch has already been included in the 2.0
series of Linux kernels. I can't remember which was the first, but 2.0.34
definitely has it. It's classified "experimental" though, so you should
tell the 'make config' program that you also want to be asked about
experimental drivers (it's one of the first questions).

Remco