Re: Gothenburg -> Vancouver

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Avery Pennarun wrote:

: On Wed, Jun 24, 1998 at 05:06:06PM +0200, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
:
: > > Wildly off topic ... isn't "The Wave" cable modem access?
: >
: > Hmmm... You really got me there... I have been lead to beleve it's xDSL,
: > but I'm not sure... Anyone?
:
: It's cable modem, and it's REALLY fast (about 400kbits/sec, full time
: connection for somthing like $60 Canadian/month).
:
: That said, I don't know what xDSL is.  Maybe that's what cable modems are :)

Nope.  Cable modems are currently proprietary protocols, though there is
a standard (MCNS) approaching.  At that point you'll be able to go to
Best Buy or Circuit City (or wherever) and buy a cable modem provided
your local cable co has MCNS head end equipment.

Cable modems currently run anywhere between 400 kbps to 30 Mbps.
Some sytems are symmetric, but most are not.  We run LANCity modems
which are capable of 10Mbps - residential customers are "limited" to
1.5Mbps.

DSL stands for "Digital Subscriber Loop".  Basically it involves sending
a digital signal over existing copper pairs.  I believe 768kbps
symmetric is the current limitation for DSL bandwidth.  There are
different "flavors" of DSL (like HDSL, ADSL ...) so the phone companies
talk about xDSL :)

One major limitation of DSL is that you must be less than 19000 feet
from a CO (round trip).

Nevertheless, DSL will be an attractive alternative to cable for some
people ...

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104