Re: libc6_2.0.7 release notes...

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> There has got to be a better way to deal with this problem (which is
> fundamentally a sorting problem).
>
> Santiago's suggestion of 2.0.7r-1 is more satisfying but, if you
> consider the situation, doesn't really resolve the long term problem
> any better.
>
> What we need here is a better way of dealing with this problem. My
> mind has no solution at the moment, but my gut says that there is one,
> so I will keep looking.
>
> The reason I think this is a continuing problem is that the next round
> of glibc development is just a likely to run through several "preX"
> versions before a release is made.

IMO, the problem is caused by the fact that the packages are given the
new version number before that version is actually released.

how about using "2.07pre8-1", "2.07pre8-2", and so on for the next set of
glibc pre-releases?

maybe this should be policy for all pre-release packages?

> In the mean time, unless anyone can object within the next several
> hours, I will construct and upload a new release of glibc with the
> version number: 2.0.7r-1

cool, that'll solve the immediate problem.

craig

--
craig sanders