Re: More corrupted utmp/wtmp

On 22 Jun 1998 peloy@ven.ra.rockwell.com wrote:

> Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu> wrote:
>
> > I'm pretty sure this is the fault of xterm.  After a logout, it does this.
> > Do an ldd on ssh before rebuilding.
[ Note that this was my stupidity since the user said they weren't running
  an xterm, but now on to another thing... ]

> Uhhmmm... I don't really know whose fault is this. This weekend I did
> a fresh install (using Enrique's 2nd 2.0.7 boot floppies pre-release)
> and installed a minimum X system
> (xbase+xserver+fonts+xcontrib+fvwm95).
>
> I haven't seen the utmp/wtmp corruption at any time...

I've got xbase 3.3.2.1-1.  Try to open an xterm, check the output of last,
all should be ok:
bhmit1   ttypa        hobbes:11.0      Mon Jun 22 13:21   still logged in

Now, exit the xterm:
p***     hN*@*****,*@  ***~**@*        Mon Jun 22 13:21   still logged in
bhmit1   ttypa        hobbes:11.0      Mon Jun 22 13:21   still logged in

This may have been fixed by the latest libc6 (according to the x
maintainers web page), but I'm waiting for the version number debate to
end before up(down)grading.

Can you verify this on a fresh install?
Brandon

                                    --+--
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu> | Debian Testing Group Status
PGP Key:   finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu |  http://bhmit1.home.ml.org/deb/
    Dijkstra probably hates me (Linus Torvalds, in kernel/sched.c)