Re: Release management - technical

Enrique Zanardi writes ("Re: Release management - technical"):
> On Tue, Jun 09, 1998 at 04:21:57PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > I think we can only do one of these.  With hamm we're doing the
> > latter; in the future I think we should do the former.
>
> Fine, as long as we have some "long term goals" that must be achieved,
> better sooner than later (FHS compliance, for example).

NO!  Absolutely not, if you're going to say `must be achieved'.

I read `must be achieved' to mean `we will delay the release if these
are not achieved'.

We are a volunteer organisation, and the last 13 months have shown us
that you can't guilt people into doing things.

We should continue to have `long term goals', and I applaud people who
work towards them, but we must be able to make a release even when
they are not met.  It is better to have a release now and goals later
than no release now and goals later !

David Engel writes ("Re: Release management - technical"):
> On Tue, Jun 09, 1998 at 04:21:57PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Q. What are we trying to achieve ?
> >
> > A. There are two possibilities that I can see
> >     - Timely and good-quality releases, or
> >     - Releases which meet some predefined set of goals.
> >
> > I think we can only do one of these.  With hamm we're doing the
> > latter; in the future I think we should do the former.
>
> I disagree.  "Timely and good-quality releases" is just another goal.
> What we haven't done been able to do in the past is strike a balance
> and have sacrificed timely releases in favor of other goals.

I don't see how timely and good-quality releases work against our
other goals, per se.

What has been happening so far is that we've been saying `Ner! We
_shan't_ have a timely release unless we meet these goals, so you
_must_ go and work on the goals.'  This has FAILED.

In future, we should make releases _without regard to long term
goals_.  Since we have to be incrementally-upgradeable, long term
goals can be achieved just as easily out of step with releases.

Ian.