Fate of binutils-m68k-palmos-coff

Hi,

I sent this inquiry to the current maintainer and the wnpp maintainer
but haven't yet received any reply, so I thought I'd ask here.

In a nutshell, the situation is this:  There is a package called
binutils-m68k-palmos-coff that is part of a cross-compiler to compile
programs to run on a PalmPilot.  However, by itself it is largely
useless.  One also need the gcc and gdb packages.  However,
gcc-m68k-palmos-coff and gdb-m68k-palmos-coff are both orphaned, and
the binutils-m68k-palmos-coff is outdated.  (One actually needs pilrc
as well, but that is from a separate source tree and not at issue
here.)

So, last weekend I packaged up prc-tools (which containcs the
m68k-palmos-coff of all three of those programs, as in the upstream
version).  It has newer binutils than the binutils-m68k-palmos-coff
package.  prc-tools properly conflicts, replaces, and provides the
older packages.

This in all is a Good Thing since gcc-m68k-palmos-coff and
gdb-m68k-palmos-coff are dropped, and without gcc at least,
binutils-m68k-palmos-coff is pretty well useless.  So, since we have
newer, working versions of all these tools, should
binutils-m68k-palmos-coff be removed?

This is the question I asked its maintainer but haven't heard back
yet.  My reccommendation would be to remove
binutils-m68k-palmos-coff.  In any case, the gcc and gdb
m68k-palmos-coff packages can be removed from the wnpp list since
working versions now exist.

John

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |