Could we automate downgrade possibility by dpkg-repack?

Hi,

when I install a package from unstable it sometimes happens that
something is seriously broken and I'd like downgrade the package
again. But the last recent version of the package has already
disappeared from all the ftp mirrors and it is not easy to go
back again.

Could one include the option in dselect (and/or apt) to make
a backup copy of a package before replacing it with the new
one? This could be done by dpkg-repack. When I am sure that
the new package works well, I could remove the backup copy of
the last version.

There are packaging systems that call this procedure "to apply
a patch" (make a backup copy and replace something) and "to
commit" (remove the backup copy).

Cheers, Thomas