Re: VI reasons (was Re: Base Set: Suggested additions & removals.)

On 17 Jun 1998, Martin Mitchell wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > This is the old .rc file, left behind by a dpkg artifact during the
> > upgrade. While future versions of ae will be able to remove this file, I
> > don't see Brian letting it into hamm, but as it is only useful in this
> > mode during an install, everything will work fine.
>
> I tried it again, as you advised, and noticed that it actually was possible
> to edit and quit. Mind you, backspace seemed non-functional, but I notice
> a bug has recently been filed about that. IMO that is a release critical
> bug, if you can find a fix quickly.

Did you use X and x as declared on the help screen? These are the vi
delete keys, and the cursor is moved left (backspace?) with the h key. All
of this is on the help screen. If you don't see it there, there is no
guarantee that it will do what you expect.

If you want an editor where all of the keys that you find on your keyboard
do the things you expect, the type ae and don't use the vi emulator .rc
file. This .rc file was created with help from James Mintha and covers all
the arrow keys and other expected keys while providing a set of
keybindings that can be used in any environment.

> Sorry, I didn't know I was using the old config file. And I did read the
> changelog, contrary what you said in your irate private message to me,
> and it never said the conffile had been moved:

Guilty on both counts. Sorry for the irateness of my last posting. I was
just tired of hearing all the false (or historical, depending on your
point of view) information being spread about an editor that I have worked
hard to bring to the table in a form that can be used in the broadest
context. Yes ae had a bad run of development getting used to slang, but
that is history, so lets keep to the facts. On top of all that, the
discussion has continued to cover other editors, as though they were
"real" alternatives in this case.

The part of the changelog that should have been in that release was
missing through my error as well. (how do you fix bugs in a changelog?)

AE now has three supported configurations, and policy declares that
multiple config files should get their own directory. For upstream code
reasons, I chose not to change the location of the default .rc file, and
this one is still in /etc.

Two of those files are for the vi emulation. Early on in the slang
development process, I was so disapointed in this emulation that I was
ready to just remove it completely. I did not write this implimentation
but I was able to recover it to its original functionality, only with
careful considerations of the xterm problem.

My choices are to junk the whole concept, and force all you with vi
programmed fingers to use ae instead, or to continue with the poor
functionality emulation I have, in hopes that someone will figure out how
to "improve" it.

Waiting is,

Dwarf