NNTP news-readers and leafnode/inn (was: seems OK so far)

Hello,

there was a disussion on debian-testing about problems with dselect in
installing the package leafnode with nn:

> I think you misunderstood or thought that I had misspelled;
>
> There's a news reader called _nn_. It keeps insisting that I replace
> leafnode with inews or inewsinn.

Well, yes and no. Most News Readers need the program inews to post news.

This Program is not included in leafnode. It comes in 3 flavours: in the
package cnews (a news system) in the package inews (perl replacement for
cnews' inews program) and in the package inewsinn. (I think the old inn
packages provided this program too, but since 1.7.2-1 it depends on it)

NN itself wont replace leafnode at all, see the dependencies:

Package: nn
Architecture: i386
Version: 6.5.0.b3.linux.1.1-1.1
Provides: news-reader
Depends: libc6, ncurses3.4
Recommends: mail-transport-agent, inn | inewsinn | inews

It is inn which replaces leafnode, since both conflict on
news-transport-system.

The Problem is: nn is recommending eighter inn, inewsinn or inews. Since inn
is the first recommended entry dselect is selecting "inn" and suggesting
inewsinn and inews as alternatives. Since selecting inn conflicts with
leafnode dselect is deselecting leafnode, too:

(thats the screen you and any user will get after selecting leafnode+nn)

leafnode *-
inn      -*
nn       **
inewsinn --
inews    --

Thats the problem you have described, right?
It is easy to resolv this by doing:

leafnode **
inn      --
nn       **
inewsinn -*
inews    --

but this is not obvious to the user.

To the maintainers of news-readers:

I would suggest to "Recommend: inewsinn | inews" or Depend: "inewsinn | inews"
depending if the news-reader works with or without an external inews program
in NNTP mode.

Greetings
Bernd
--