Re: FIX FOR HAMM: timezone problem

Sorry to have stayed out of this but I have been busy...

Bottom line...tzconfig is broken.

If you look at the list provided under US there is an entry of
Indiana-Eastern, and Arizona... as well. These should be linked to their
non-DST configuration. The ones that say eastern, and central, and
mountain, and pacific, should all understand daylight shaving time. (Bill,
I hate daylight shavings time)

The central timezone provided by tzconfig is broken, in that it clearly
doesn't deal with DST correctly. I believe I have heard of this problem
before. I guess it is time to look at the guts of this and figure out how
to fix it.

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 08:26:41AM -0400, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > I'm sorry to disapoint you, but US/Central is a perfectly valid timezone.
> > It is only intended for those parts of the central US where Daylight
> > Savings Time is not practiced. You will notice that there are equivalet
> > settings for the other timezones as well.
>
> Uhmm, there is no state in the Central timezone that doesn't go on Daylight
> Savings Time.
>
> Two states in the continental US do not go on DST -- Indiana, in the
> Eastern time zone, and Arizona, in the Mountain time zone.
>
> This also can change on county-by-county basis.
>
> I think US/Central is a reasonable assumption to make for someone living in
> the Central timezone.  Perhaps some further clarification should be made.
>
> Admittedly, the best thing would be for the United States to abandon the
> Luddite notion of Daylight Savings Time, but that's not something Debian
> can change soon.  :)
>
> --
> G. Branden Robinson                 |  Murphy's Guide to Science:
> Purdue University                   |  If it's green or squirms, it's biology.
> branden@purdue.edu                  |  If it stinks, it's chemistry.
> http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~branden/ |  If it doesn't work, it's physics.

Dwarf