Re: VI reasons (was Re: Base Set: Suggested additions & removals.)

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> This is the old .rc file, left behind by a dpkg artifact during the
> upgrade. While future versions of ae will be able to remove this file, I
> don't see Brian letting it into hamm, but as it is only useful in this
> mode during an install, everything will work fine.

I tried it again, as you advised, and noticed that it actually was possible
to edit and quit. Mind you, backspace seemed non-functional, but I notice
a bug has recently been filed about that. IMO that is a release critical
bug, if you can find a fix quickly.

Sorry, I didn't know I was using the old config file. And I did read the
changelog, contrary what you said in your irate private message to me,
and it never said the conffile had been moved:

ae (962-20) frozen unstable; urgency=low

  * fixed /bin/vi shell script to handle both quoted file names
  *     and the lack of any arguments using the ${1+"$@"}
  *     construct suggested by Richard Braakman: fixes 20415
  * also fixed inverted logic in same shell script.

 -- Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>  Sat, 23 May 1998 15:19:56 -0400

ae (962-19) frozen unstable; urgency=high

  * rebuilt ae.rc to provide emacs keybindings
  *      provides full functionality on terminals without function keys.
  * new keybindings remove the problem with ^O (file write)
  *      when used under Midnight Commander, which caused ae to abort.

 -- Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>  Thu, 14 May 1998 16:18:06 -0400

ae (962-18) frozen unstable; urgency=high

  * rebuilt ae.rc for both console and xterm keys:
  *          fixes 4755, 16508, 17107, and 20749
  * rebuilt ae2vi.rc and ae2vix.rc to supply vi in console and xterm:
  *          fixes 8350, 17086, 17757, 17794, 21266, and 21649
  * modified ae.rc to provide control keys for use over telnet:
  *          fixes 20439
  * applied Jim Mintha's CR patch to key.c:  fixes 18581
  * applied Jim Mintha's slang colors patch: fixes 21267
  * add .gz extention to slave manpage: fixes 21165
  * remove substvars and files from debian/ : fixes 21276

 -- Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>  Sun, 10 May 1998 14:16:34 -0400

ae (962-17) unstable; urgency=high

  * changed package from ncurses to slang for the boot floppies

 -- Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>  Sat,  3 Jan 1998 15:56:01 -0500

(that's all the changelog entries for this year)

	Martin.